(By the way, writers, I have several requests out for new scoops. Just waiting for a response from the editors.)
If you're technologically inclined--or if you know (or pay) the right people--you can develop a lot of cool marketing tools. Like a book trailer.
Of course, to do this yourself you'll have to learn Flash. And then build the game. Which wastes a bunch of time, according to some writers. It really depends on how one-dimensional you want to be.
Tell you what though: specialize in one thing, you're gonna die when that thing dries up. Not smart. And unless the power goes out, the web ain't quitting anytime soon, so... might be worth your time to learn at least basic HTML.
How? Google it. Or take a class. Here are some links to get you started (search terms bolded):
- Free Web Building Tutorials: http://www.w3schools.com/
- Google Sites: http://sites.google.com/site/sites/
- Free Web Site Templates: http://www.freewebtemplates.com/
- Free CSS Navigation: http://www.free-css.com/free-css-menus/page1.php
- CSS Navigation Generator: http://purecssmenu.com/
- Free Widgets (also called gadgets): http://www.widgetbox.com/
- Free Forums, Hit Counters, Mailing Lists, etc.: http://www.bravenet.com/
If you know of any great resources, comment below.